The Laboratory of Steam Boilers and Thermal Plants has been working for the last 30 years on:
- The examination of phenomena which affect and determine the process of combustion in furnaces of conventional and non-conventional steam boilers
- The formation of pollutants and the technologies for their reduction.
- The examination of heat transfer phenomena on the exchange surfaces of steam boilers.
- The testing and checking of heating systems as for their efficiency and their exhaust gas quality.
- The energy saving from Thermal Power Plants.
- The development of new technologies and combustion systems such as the burning in a Fluidised Bed
- The prediction and coping with problems through the computational simulation of flow fields, of transfer and combustion phenomena.
- The energetic use of biomass (combustion, gasification)
- Fuel cell technology
- Novel technologies for CO2 capture in power production sector
- Hydrogen use in energy production
Short overview of the research activities can be found here